- Rinse 3 cups (450 g) of rice twice lightly with water and drain thoroughly in a colander.
- Add the rice and 540 ml of water (1.2 times the amount of rice) to the kakugama and soak for 30 minutes.
Cover with the outer lid and heat over medium-high heat to bring to a boil in about 10 minutes.
- When the water boils, reduce the heat to low for 10 minutes, turn off the heat, steam for another 10 minutes, then stir the rice as if cutting it.
* Adjust the amount of water to +/- 10% according to your preference.
* Soak for 0 to 60 minutes, according to your preference. Water is absorbed quickly in summer, when its temperature is high.
* Boiling time varies according to your cooking equipment. Use 10 minutes as a guideline. Depending on the amount of rice to be cooked, a boiling time of 6 to 14 minutes is recommended. If it does not come to the boil after 15 minutes or more, it is due to a lack of heat, so please try with other cooking equipment.
■If the time between soaking and boiling is short, the rice will be nice and firm and if it the time is long, the rice will have a sweeter taste. Use the recipe as a guide to adjust to your taste.
■While the inner lid is new, it will have a strong cypress scent. If you find that the smell is strong when cooking white rice, please use the inner lid only to keep the rice warm, or use it for other dishes after the smell has faded after several uses.