Ingredients (4 servings)
8 whole head-on shrimp
1. Keep the shells on the squid and make incisions along the back to remove the vein. Cut the body of the squid into rings and the tentacles into bite-sized pieces. Clean the mussels and remove the whiskers. Sprinkle the shrimp and squid with salt.
2. Finely chop garlic and onion. Cut the red pepper into bite-sized pieces.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a DISC over medium heat. Grill the shrimp from step 1 until golden brown, then remove from the pan.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil from step 3 to the pan. Stir-fry the garlic, onion, and saffron over medium heat. When the onion is soft, add the rice and sauté lightly. Then add the white wine, vegetable broth, and canned tomatoes.
5. Flatten the surface and scatter the squid from step 1, mussels, and bell pepper from step 2 over the rice. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low heat for about 13 minutes, or until the mixture boils and steam escapes.
6. Remove the lid, increase the heat slightly, and cook until the excess moisture has evaporated and a crackling sound is heard. Remove from heat and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with lemon wedges and optional aioli-style sauce.
Mix sauce ingredients together.
DISC is perfect for making paella. It allows for easy sauteing of ingredients, creates a seal when covered to intensify flavors, and produces beautiful caramelization.
If you don't have mussels, you can substitute clams. Be sure to use pre-soaked clams to remove any sand.
Finally, uncover the pan to let the excess moisture evaporate and create a crispy crust on the bottom. The crackling sound indicates that it's nicely caramelized.
After serving as chef at a French restaurant, Seiichi Horio established HORIO COOKING